Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Flesh Sensing Kapex, Track Saws, Domino ??

On 7/9/2017 4:43 PM, dpb wrote:
On 07/09/2017 2:27 PM, Leon wrote:

I wonder if the shapers, and mostly because they spin at a relative low
RPM compared to a TS blade, if they could make an electromagnetic brake
much like cordless drills use.

All the shapers I've got are 3X or so the rpm of of TS...even the low
range on the 2-speed is 7,000 rpm. A 10" TS manufacturer's max tip
speed will limit RPM to something under 5,000 to 5,500 iirc w/o looking
up specific numbers.

OH! Nevermind. I was under the impression that they ran really slow,
not just much slower than a router. Thanks for pointing that out.

Anyways, shapers run at quite a lot higher rpm than do TS's owing to the
tip diameter of cutters being smaller so need it for the tip speed.

Think routers; 20 to 27,000 ain't unusual for the same reason; the
router bit diameter is much smaller so needs to spin faster to compensate.

Yeah I remember that now, IIRC I mentioned on a post, several posts ago,
that tip speed was important on any tool/cutter. IIRC the discussion
was why you could not put a router bit in a drill press and get
satisfactory results.

There's quite a lot of mass on a 1" shaper spindle w/ a 6" panel-raiser
on it...it'd take a sizeable EM to shut it down quickly enough to make
and difference on the accident scenario methinks...

--

Totally agreed! Your lights would dim, probably. ;~)