Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin' Norman Stormin' Norman is offline

Default Dishwasher

On Sun, 09 Jul 2017 21:27:33 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Sun 09 Jul 2017 01:14:31p, Stormin' Norman told us...

On Sun, 09 Jul 2017 14:56:01 -0400, wrote:

Can I install a dishwasher in a kitchen where I do NOT have a
garbage disposal, to connect the waste hose ??

Is a disposal "required" for pproper dishwaher performance?

No, and IMHO you are better off without a disposal, I think they
are a huge pain in the ass and have little value.

You will simply install a new sink drain tail piece, with an
additional inlet for the hose coming from the dishwasher air gap /
drain.

I am not sure if plumbing code in all states require an air gap as
part of the dishwasher installation. For more information, see:

https://www.thespruce.com/dishwasher-venting-2718654

Air gaps are not required in AZ unless in certain commercial buildings
and high rise apartment buildings.

That is interesting Wayne, thanks. If it were me and if I had an
extra punch-out in the sink, I think I would install one regardless.