Chris Lewis

Default Sears Radial Arm Saw Motor Repair

According to Howard Epstein :
Anybody know how to get the motor off a 10 inch radial arm saw. The
motor is defective and I would like to take it to an electrical shop for
repair.

I have started to remove it but I really am feeling my way around.
Hearing from someone with experience would be fantastic !

If your unit is anything like mine, there are several hex socket head
bolts holding the end caps of the blade bevel axles.

In other words, when the blade is 90 degrees to the backstop (arm
straight out), the saw motor will tilt on the axles
on either side of the motor (one facing you, one facing the post).

Undo those and the motor will begin to fall out of its "cradle".

CAUTION: there are "slugs" embedded into the mount castings that
provide positional stops and part of the clamping. Don't lose them!
They may even be spring loaded, so, be careful you figure out where they
came from.

You'll also need to disconnect the power wiring.

[my unit dates back to the late 60's. Massive cast iron arm.]

Ask around, you may be able to get a manual online. I did.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est