Posted to alt.home.repair
=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= =?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= is offline

Default Hot bus bar replacement?

posted for all of us...

On Fri, 07 Jul 2017 11:44:03 GMT, Sandy Eggo
m wrote:

I just replaced my busbar for $75. The bid to replace my panel was $2,400. In
my case there were two 5/32 bolts and two brackets (that slid in slots) that
held the busbar in place. Turn off you main breaker, and your solar roof
collector if you have one. The busbar is now dead. Unbolt the busbar from the
bottom of your main 200 amp breaker. Remove all circuit breakers. Unscrew two
5/32 bolts from side of busbar, push up on busbar to clear slots, and pull it
out. Every busbar is different. This is how my 200 amp 20 slot Cutler-Hammer
worked. I bought a near new busbar at San Diego Electric on University Avenue.
(619) 283-7031. These folks have a large supply of near new panels and
busbars. It took me about 1.5 hours to complete job. You will see how new
busbar screws in when you buy it. I did use electric tape to tape a 5/32 open
end wrench on a paint stick to reach one of the 5/32 screws that was very near
the hot lead from the street. I did have to get into the hot street side of
the box. In some cases this side of the panel box may be sealed. Mine was seal
was loose. Be very careful here. Use thick rubber gloves and one hand. You do
not want street juice shooting across your chest in case you slip. You can
remove the hot leads from the street one at a time. Place a very large wire
nut over each lead as you remove it. Even after you remove the leads be
extremely careful to not let them touch. Do NOT touch the wires or wire nuts
after you remove these hot street leads. Do not bet you life on the wire nut
staying in place. Work on one wire at a time. I did not have to remove the hot
street leads. Your situation may be different.

Much safer is just to call the power company, tell them you are doing
maintenance on your panel and the seal was broken. Cut the seal and
pull the meter.
They will come out and replace the seal. Electricians and inspectors
do this all the time.

+ 1000 You beat me to it again.

--
Tekkie