Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Outside edge of front tires stairstepping

On 07/06/2017 10:45 AM, Chaya Eve wrote:
I just want to know if the road curves are the problem, why the rear tires
don't show the same outside feathering that the fronts show at 4K miles.

afaik, the 4Runner does not have independent rear suspension. To
simplify, the rear wheels will be perpendicular to the pavement while
the front tire geometry will vary.

Long shot, but what sort of tire? I had a Michelin Anakee 2 front tire
on one of my bikes that had a very strange wear pattern. Everyone who
ran that tire saw the same thing and Michelin went to the Anakee 3 to
correct the issue. Whether it was the tread block design or something
else it developed a similar pattern to what you are describing except
being a bike it was on both sides. It neither impaired the ride or
handling, it just looked weird.