Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Outside edge of front tires stairstepping

Chaya Eve wrote:
An alignment only shop with something called "Hunger" which was a big red
machine with a computer screen and mirrors which he drove the car on to do
the alignment.

Equipment doesn't matter so much, what matters is the guy who did the job.
But you don't throw up any red signs here.

I can hear the tires make noise but never screeching like kids do when they
put those round black tire circles in the road pavement. Just a
"scrunching" sound as I go around the turns.

It's a 2WD Toyota 4Runner if that makes any difference.

I don't think I can take the turns much slower than about 20mph as I'm
always the one who pulls over to let others pass me on that road.

I just want to know if the road curves are the problem, why the rear tires
don't show the same outside feathering that the fronts show at 4K miles.

I don't know, but the forces on the front and the back are very different,
in part because of steering and in part because side-forces are very
different.

However, I might consider investing in higher performance tires next time
when these wear out. They may or may not last longer, but they will sure
make driving those twisty roads more enjoyable and more safe too.

The tires are TREADWEAR = 380 if that's what you mean by "performance".

I'd be more interested in the speed rating. The UT treadwear rating of
380 isn't terribly high but isn't terribly low either.
--scott