Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Chaya Eve Chaya Eve is offline

Default Outside edge of front tires stairstepping

On Thu, 6 Jul 2017 09:13:13 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Does not sound normal to me. Could be the toe-in is not adjusted
properly. How many miles on the car? Every checked the alignment?

If it were only the tires tilted inward at the front (toe) the whole tread
would be "feathered" would it not? This only has the outside edge of both
front tires feathered. So it can't be "just" toe.

I don't see how the miles matter but it has about 60K miles. Miles would
have nothing to do with this other than suspension wear but nobody is
suggesting suspension wear based on the evidence (for example, no cupping).

The alignment was last done about two years ago.
The tires are about a year old.

My take on this is that it's either "normal" for a car that is driven by
necessity (slowly) on twisty steep (10%) mountain roads for 10 miles (5
each way) every day, or there is something wrong.

It's not going to be a single thing since the entire width of the tread is
not feathered (only the outside edges) and since it's both front tires,
it's not obvious that it's something worn or out of alignment.