Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin' Norman Stormin' Norman is offline

Default I messed up. Now I need to screw into particle board.

On Wed, 5 Jul 2017 09:43:58 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 12:15:03 PM UTC-4, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Wed, 05 Jul 2017 12:09:34 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 5 Jul 2017 07:51:18 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Any decent router with a 1/2" collet could handle this.

I was assuming this guy did not have as big a shop as "Norm". ;-)

Hey, I simply suggested that he install dowels and use glue. It
doesn't really matter, it appears the OP has vanished and I doubt he
has the jig required to accurately install dowels, let alone cut a
3/4" slot and install a spline.

17 hours since the first post and you assume he's vanished? Maybe he has a job
that doesn't allow him to post all day.

Why do you doubt that he can do the work? If he doesn't have a doweling jig, he can buy
one for for $30-$90 depending on how much he plans to use it in the future. If he
doesn't have a router, he can buy one. It's an extremely useful tool. I have 3. If he's
never cut a slot and/or installed a spline, does that mean he'll never be able to?

Other than the fact that he screwed up the first cut (who hasn't?) how are you able to
access his skill-set, or more importantly, his ability to learn? I've been playing around
with home repair and woodworking for many years and I'm still learning new stuff. That's
one of the reasons I do it. I like the journey. Apparently, the OP does too since he took
it upon himself to cut the door in the first place.

Oh good, the first ****ing contest of the day, whoo-hoo.

Yes, I suspect he has vanished, you can speculate until the cows come
home, but as of now, he has not returned.

As for all your other points, yes, some people are capable of learning
new things and buying all kinds of tools, etc. However, if he had the
motivation required, it is my opinion he would have been participating
in the discussion beyond the initial post and sooner than this point
in time. It seems many people who post through the home owners hub,
never follow-up.

Also, the idea of cutting a slot and installing a spline seems
needlessly complicated when one can install dowels using a jig, a
pencil, a drill, a mallet and some glue. The foundational principles
of proper engineering include keeping solutions as simple as possible
while attaining the desired end result.

Lastly, considering the door is 1.38 inches thick, with masonite outer
cladding and a particle board inner core, cutting a 3/4" slot in the
inner core would either eliminate the particle board or dramatically
weaken it. Not only does a long slot seem pointless, but it would
likely further damage the remaining structural integrity of that end
of the door. Removing as little material as possible seems to be the
most logical approach when trying repair this kind of a cluster-****.

Did I satisfy your need for ****ing contest? I have horses to feed and
a solar array to pressure wash.