View Single Post
  #38   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster

Default Aldi sliding mitre saw review

On Friday, May 20, 2016 at 6:40:42 AM UTC+10, wrote:
A quick review - it's still in stock at £79.99.

Solidly built, all metal base, fast cutting, very clean cutting. Turntable has no position lock, but it doesn't need one due to the firm engagement of angular positions. What it's like if you're cutting an odd angle without an indentation I don't know. Max cut length over 12", max cut depth 7.7cm. The motor is angled upward giving welcome space, and the cutting head can tilt in both directions (left & right) upto 45 degrees.

The cons:

The release whatsit that enables the head to go down is plastic. The saw will work fine if it gets broken, but it wouldn't then be workplace legal. Not hard to fabricate one, but then you'd have a modified saw.

The turntable angle pointer is also plastic. It's only needed for odd angle cuts.

The laser points down the centre of the cut line, not down one edge.

The spring pushing the cutting head up is OTT. If you're using the saw a lot it creates more fatigue than necessary.

Overall a good performing saw, but wouldn't say no to a few minor design points sorting.

NT

I bought their Miter saw stand too & its sturdy enough but the bolts that hold it together are made out of zinc plated cheese. They snap before you even put a spanner on them. Soon as you take a wrench out of your tool box the saw stand knows and the bolts snap.