Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles[_20_] Muggles[_20_] is offline

Default Why is raw honey from Costco twice as expensive as Filtered ?

On 6/30/2017 7:23 AM, Frank wrote:
On 6/29/2017 11:20 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 6/29/2017 2:09 PM, Frank wrote:
On 6/29/2017 2:59 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 6/29/2017 6:53 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 6/28/2017 10:27 PM, Muggles wrote:

I've hesitated taking it up because of the "getting stung" thing. Do
you get stung often?

Not really , the secret is lightly smoking them , and moving
slowly .
Sudden motion makes them defensive . Timing makes a difference too
, you
want to go into the hives while most of the foragers are out doing
their
thing . And during times when there is no nectar out there they
tend to
be defensive - they think you're there to steal their food ... I've
gotten so when i do get stung it burns for a few minutes then goes
away
. Skeeter bites bother me a lot more than bee stings . Did you know
that
some people sting themselves on purpose ? Something in the venom has
medicinal properties , look up "apitherapy" for more detail .

ugh... I don't think I could get used to getting stung. I'd jump or
shout and probably scare the bees and get stung MORE.

Yellow jacket stings were painful to but I tolerated them but now appear
to be allergic. I needed a prednisone pack for one that stung me on the
finger and my whole hand was swollen like I had a glove on the next day.
Honeybees are fairly docile but I would not take any chances.

I got a sting from a wasp that felt like I had been shot. After that
I've been a bit jumpy around insects that sting.

I carry benadryl pills in the car and know a woman that had to carry
epinephrine, Epi Pen, like injections.

Years ago, I was a couple of miles from home on my bicycle and something
flew in my mouth and stung tongue and lip. I was worried my tongue
could swell and choke me. It did not but lip was swollen for a few days.
Epinephrine can help with this.

Since my hand swelling incident, I was stung on the ankle cutting the
grass, took benadryl, ankle swelled somewhat but nowhere near like my
hand and trip to doctor was not needed.

When I got stung by that wasp, I didn't have an allergic reaction to it.
Just minor swelling at the spot, but the pain was like a 9 on a scale
of 10.

--
Maggie