Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Ping Robert

On 6/23/2017 1:32 PM, Jack wrote:
On 6/22/2017 9:59 AM, Leon wrote:
On 6/22/2017 8:19 AM, Jack wrote:
On 6/21/2017 3:41 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Next time you're in HD check out the Milwaukee 16'
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee...7116/207191753

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1000_.jpg

Or take a chance on the more reasonably priced 12'
http://www.internationaltool.com/mil...t-tape-measure

https://www.fasteninghouseatlantic.c...-tape-measure/

http://bit.ly/2sUNuZL

Thanks, will do that. Couldn't tell much from their photo's, but will
definitely check them out. I saw that one had the actual fractions
marked like the Fastcap tapes. Not sure I want that but if they have a
12 footer with nothing smaller than 1/16th inch markings, on both
sides, I'm in for yet one more tape for my giant collection:-)

One of the tapes pictured seemed to have no numbers other than at the
1 inch line. What's up with that?

Some people are really really really really really good at reading marks
quickly. ;~)

LOL. You would think people posting pictures of a product would take
pictures that show off the product. This goes for the above tape, but
also the FastCap tape you mentioned that has a blurry photo of the tape
you recommended to me.

You w o u l d think.

I would be willing to bet the numbers are in the center. If the "1" was
in the center it would be covered up by the magnetic hook.

Something to watch out for, you probably already know this, the curve in
the blade for the stand off tends to make it difficult to mark
accurately and not tip the measure case or hook. I personally want the
least stand off for building furniture and cabinets. It is a trade off.

Yes, one of several reasons I prefer short tapes in my shop, one of
course is smaller tape to lug around and handle, but also the longer the
tape, the more curve so the tape doesn't buckle when extended. Handy for
outside carpenters building houses and sheds, just a nuisance in my
cabinet shop.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the "white" FastCap tape measure.
Totally flat and pretty much worthless unless you are measuring the
surface of an arc or if you are measuring a horizontal surface.
It's stand off is about 1". ;-)