Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin' Norman Stormin' Norman is offline

Default Shade Sails - Personal Experiences

On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 19:55:18 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Fri 23 Jun 2017 06:49:09a, Stormin' Norman told us...

On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 07:06:01 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Thu 22 Jun 2017 08:28:27a, told us...

On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 14:47:38 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

Looking for anyone in the group who has personal (first hand)
experience with purchasing and installing shade sails.
I wish to cover the concrete driveway area outside of the six
car garage and several other areas.
I am looking for the best, most reputable vendors for the sails
and for rigging hardware. I am also curious about what kind of
posts were used for installation. With the level of tension
required for the cables, it would seem that 6 - 8" diameter
steel posts would be required. Any personal experiences with
such projects would be welcome.

Sorry - no personal experience - but the " Instr " link
on this page, has a pretty good 4-page pdf for installation
instructions.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...44&cat=1,71685

If comparing price & quality of different brands - don't forget
to look at the hardware included - good stainless steel -
rather than cheapo ...
John T.

Ours is personal experience, but our sail was custom made due to
the unusual shape we needed. On three sides there were heavy
steel rods mounted to two existing walls and one beam. The sale
was grommeted at one foot intervals and lced to the steel rods.
On the fourth side a have steel cable was contained within the
sale and eached was anchored into heavy eye bolts into two of the
walls. The cable tensions was adjustable at both ends. We've had
this sail for five years and it's as good as new. The company who
made it does employ steel posts if required; e.g., where no other
mounting location would work.

That sounds very interesting. Any possibility of you posting a
few pictures of it? I am curious about the steel support struts.

When it's cool tomorrow morning I'll take a couple of pictures. It's
too hot right now. I'll ping you.

Thanks! I look forward to seeing them!