Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shade Sails - Personal Experiences

Looking for anyone in the group who has personal (first hand)
experience with purchasing and installing shade sails.

I wish to cover the concrete driveway area outside of the six car
garage and several other areas.

I am looking for the best, most reputable vendors for the sails and
for rigging hardware. I am also curious about what kind of posts were
used for installation. With the level of tension required for the
cables, it would seem that 6 - 8" diameter steel posts would be
required.

Any personal experiences with such projects would be welcome.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 14:47:38 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

Looking for anyone in the group who has personal (first hand)
experience with purchasing and installing shade sails.
I wish to cover the concrete driveway area outside of the six car
garage and several other areas.
I am looking for the best, most reputable vendors for the sails and
for rigging hardware. I am also curious about what kind of posts were
used for installation. With the level of tension required for the
cables, it would seem that 6 - 8" diameter steel posts would be
required.
Any personal experiences with such projects would be welcome.

Sorry - no personal experience - but the " Instr " link
on this page, has a pretty good 4-page pdf for installation
instructions.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...44&cat=1,71685

If comparing price & quality of different brands - don't forget to
look at the hardware included - good stainless steel -
rather than cheapo ...
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

On 6/22/2017 7:47 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
Looking for anyone in the group who has personal (first hand)
experience with purchasing and installing shade sails.

I wish to cover the concrete driveway area outside of the six car
garage and several other areas.

I am looking for the best, most reputable vendors for the sails and
for rigging hardware. I am also curious about what kind of posts were
used for installation. With the level of tension required for the
cables, it would seem that 6 - 8" diameter steel posts would be
required.

Any personal experiences with such projects would be welcome.

It's all about you, is it? You selfish prick!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, but these are the types of sails which should be avoided. I
will be using sails that have cables sewn into the sails that transfer
all the stress to the mounting hardware. The ones on that page are
rated to withstand 25 mph winds, which is just not adequate in almost
any outdoor environment I can think of.

I do appreciate your reply.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/22/2017 9:47 AM, Stormin' Norman wrote:
Looking for anyone in the group who has personal (first hand)
experience with purchasing and installing shade sails.

I wish to cover the concrete driveway area outside of the six car
garage and several other areas.

I am looking for the best, most reputable vendors for the sails and
for rigging hardware. I am also curious about what kind of posts were
used for installation. With the level of tension required for the
cables, it would seem that 6 - 8" diameter steel posts would be
required.

Any personal experiences with such projects would be welcome.

We use 2 shade sails in our back yard. We overlapped them at different
angles and used wire and ropes to tie them off. Part of them are tied
to a 4 x 4 fence post, and another is tied to a hook on our house.
Haven't had any problems with them, but, will probably need to replace
them in another year or two due to the fabric breaking down from sun and
weather exposure. They've been up for about 4 or 5 years at this point.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu 22 Jun 2017 08:28:27a, told us...

wrote:

[...]

Ours is personal experience, but our sail was custom made due to the
unusual shape we needed. On three sides there were heavy steel rods
mounted to two existing walls and one beam. The sale was grommeted
at one foot intervals and lced to the steel rods. On the fourth side
a have steel cable was contained within the sale and eached was
anchored into heavy eye bolts into two of the walls. The cable
tensions was adjustable at both ends. We've had this sail for five
years and it's as good as new. The company who made it does employ
steel posts if required; e.g., where no other mounting location would
work.

That sounds very interesting. Any possibility of you posting a few
pictures of it? I am curious about the steel support struts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri 23 Jun 2017 06:49:09a, Stormin' Norman told us...

wrote:

[...]

When it's cool tomorrow morning I'll take a couple of pictures. It's
too hot right now. I'll ping you.

Thanks! I look forward to seeing them!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri 23 Jun 2017 02:23:26p, Stormin' Norman told us...

wrote:

[...]

I hope these pics make sense. If not, post any questions you may
have. BTW, all the hardware, including the cable, is stainless
steel.

https://postimg.org/image/ucjv0igqt/
https://postimg.org/image/4qa4eco1l/
https://postimg.org/image/oa7a5wnv9/
https://postimg.org/image/54miaeb6v/
https://postimg.org/image/8h2telwvr/
https://postimg.org/image/gu1zkp0nb/
https://postimg.org/image/tb5gxqt9x/

Thanks very much for taking the time and making the effort to take and
post the images.

It looks like they installed the steel struts / cleats on the two
opposing long walls and they used a propylene rope to thread through
the eyelets. It also looks like they used the wire rope to create the
tension on the fabric.

It is a professional looking job, and the hardware looks like it is
first rate.

What are the approximate dimensions of the shade sail? The next
question is kind of subjective, but how would you describe the level
of tension on the fabric? Taught as a drum? Trampoline-like, etc?

Also, did you watch them do the install? How did they so accurately
locate the studs behind the stucco? Were they using a high end stud
finder? It looks like each of the cleat brackets is about 16" apart?
I assume they must have used lag screws to attach the brackets to the
walls?

Lastly, the wall anchors they attached the wire rope to, what are
those? Lag eyes or are they eye bolts that go all the way through the
wall?