Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Ping Robert

On 6/22/2017 11:34 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 6/22/17 11:24 AM, Leon wrote:
On 6/22/2017 10:25 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 6/22/17 9:33 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Jack wrote:

One of the tapes pictured seemed to have no numbers other than at
the 1
inch line. What's up with that?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1000_.jpg

The magnetic end:
http://homefixated.com/wp-content/up...nylon-mesh.jpg

The Klein 16' looks interesting as well:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Too...6216/300766949

http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/ta...c-tape-measure

http://www.kleintools.com/sites/all/...lein/86216.jpg

http://www.kleintools.com/sites/all/...lein/86216.jpg

I bought the combo pack of those Milwaukees when they first came out and
I don't like them. While the magnetic tip is nice (strong!) it can be a
PITA when you *don't* need it.

The hook bends too easily and the two "bat ear" ones can end up being
one forward and one back which can really screw up measurements
depending on how the tape is oriented for each measurement. It's been
relegated to being my "go to" metal object receiver when I drop a nut or
screw and it bounces down under the bench or table saw. :-)

One thing I don't like about all these new tapes, overall, is how fat
they are getting with all the superfluous trim on them. It's like
they're trying to make monster trucks out of tape measures. I can't find
a one that will slip in and out of the tape holster on my tool belt.

Exactly, I do not like the fat cases and as I mentioned in another
post, that is all to do with stand off. The tape has to be wider to
accept enough bend to extend 16+feet with out support. If you want a
narrow tape measure you have to look at 12' and under, typically.

Pretty soon you'll need two hands to hold the thing. :-)

I need two hands to hold my thing now. ;~0