Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default Ping Robert

Jack writes:

Thanks, will do that. Couldn't tell much from their photo's, but will
definitely check them out. I saw that one had the actual fractions
marked like the Fastcap tapes. Not sure I want that but if they have a
12 footer with nothing smaller than 1/16th inch markings, on both sides,
I'm in for yet one more tape for my giant collection:-)

One of the tapes pictured seemed to have no numbers other than at the 1
inch line. What's up with that?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1000_.jpg

Personally, I like my Stanley short tapes the best, for overall feel and
all that. Unfortunately, they seem too damn dumb to eliminate the
useless 1/32 crap. I like my Fastcap 16' except for it's a bit too long
for a cabinet shop, and the strong ass spring. Like to chop off a
finger when that thing retracts.

This seems like much ado about little, to me.

It's clear that someone manufacturing tape measures will design one that will
satisfy the most customers, and one may assume they've done the market
research to justify inclusion of 1/32 marks on the tape - which is the
opposite of 'damn dumb'.

Personally, I use an icra or starrett rule for all my woodworking and leave the tape
measures (four 25' stanleys) for construction or general measurement usage.

"Useless 1/32 crap" is a value judgement that is not universal when applied
to measurement devices.