Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Brexit News which won't be appearing on this NG at least.

On 20/06/17 20:35, michael adams wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message
In message , michael adams
writes
Basically until the UK agrees to pay them what they think they're due, regardless of
whether anyone else thinks this is fair or not, they're not going to negotiate on
anything else.

This was the fait accompli which Davis was presented with on Monday morning.

If you read the article some of the sums being mentioned as compo are simply staggering
i.e 100 billion

It's maybe no wonder a lot of people are trying to play this down.

So the EU position is "Pay us 100 billion or you have to stay in our cartel (club or
whatever)"?

Any sane person would treat this as a wind up or insanity.

Hardly. This has been on the cards, since before the
referendum.

According to them, us leaving will cost them 10 billion
per annum. Which without looking it up, may well correspond
with the figure many were suggesring as the amount the
UK would save per year, by leaving.

Then they're further claiming that its going to take them
a good 10 years to get over the initial shock.

Basically if they hired a good divorce lawyer to argue
their case they might even get it up to 30 years.

With the UK paying their costs, on top.

michael adams

The idiocy you espouse seems to be based on some weird assumption that
we will be subject to EU law once we leave the EU.

WE just promise to pay, repeal the act as soon as we have left and stick
two fingers in the air.

This is realpolitik micheal, I know its hard for your little remoaner
brain to grasp, but there are no rules at this level. No one except
maybe a US air strike can enforce anything, and no legal arrangement is
binding unless we let it be, between two entities that are sovereign.

We cant force the EU to do anything and they cant force us, either.

That's why its a negotiation and there may be an agreement.

It still will not be legally binding because there is no organisation
superior to the EU and Britain to make it so..

Politically it is a treaty between equals. If the EU wants to play 'we
still own you and you are subject to our laws' then they can just ****
off and take the rather bad consequences.

--
Labour - a bunch of rich people convincing poor people to vote for rich
people

Peter Thompson