Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What Would Make A Shop Go Boom?

On Mon, 19 Jun 2017 19:23:32 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I've often heard that using a bathroom exhaust fan to exhaust finishing odors
is bad idea, but I'm sure there are certain conditions that would have to be
present for it to really be a danger.

Consider this room:

9' x 12' x 7'
South West corner: A door that opens to the main part of the basement
North West corner: A door that opens to the great outdoors (screened)

Consider this idea:

Mount a 140 CFM bathroom exhaust fan in the North East corner (opposite
the 2 doors). If my calculations are right, that's about 40% more than
the minimum CFM for a bathroom of that size.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E0KV5J0

Planned uses: Occasionally exhaust odors from primer, paint, mineral spirits,
oil based stains, oil based poly, farting, etc. No spraying. Brush or wipe-on
only. Small projects or small parts of large projects. e.g. stain a headboard,
paint a dresser, etc. Not to be used when the air is dusty, although
adding a holder for a furnace filter is a possibility.

What would it take for this to go boom?

FWIW, the fan shown below, placed on a stool by the door to the great
outdoors hasn't blown the place up yet. Of course, it's only been about 35
years, so there's still time.

http://i.imgur.com/QzieJU1.jpg

That thing is a beast. I don't know the CFM rating, but it'll dry a pair
of jeans in about an hour.

No spark means no boom - so ground the fan to prevent static buildup,
and locate the switch in fresh air or use a sealed / electronic
switch. Being a shaded pole or split phase motor with no starter
switch the motor should never spark. Forget any motor with brushes or
mechanical / centrigugal starting switches.