Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default bats in the belfry?

On 6/16/2017 9:31 AM, Martin Brown wrote:
On 16/06/2017 08:20, jkn wrote:
Hi All
we have a strange noise coming from a corner of the loft; I will
go up
there shortly but am puzzled as to what it might be.

We had rats some years ago (collapsed drain, since repaired) and I am
pretty
sure it is not them. All we hear is a short bit of 'scrabbling'. only
for a
period of 30secs or a minute, around midnight or so, some nights. The
noise
actually comes from a corner of the first floor ceiling which is an
outside
corner, as it were. I've taken a look outside at that corner with with
binoculars but cannot see anything unusual.

If it is bats then watching outside at dusk as they come out to hunt
will confirm it. They tend not to be in the roost at night- leaving at
dusk to go out hunting and when they come back are lightning fast.

As I say, I will take a look in the loft shortly but I am curious in
advance
as to what it might be, given the very short nature, and timing, of the
noise. Theories welcome...

I suspect it is more likely mice. Bats do make a noise from time to time
but only for a few nights a year when the youngsters are learning to fly
and crash into things. Its a bit early for that ~late July where I live.

It could also be birds nesting - they make scrabbling noises too.

+1 to all that