Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default dishwasher detergent clogging drain

I have no dishwasher but a plumber told me some time ago that although this
detergent removes grease, the grease and the detergent can clump into what
he termed fat Burgs in sewers which are surprisingly solid, and obviously
filters and plumbing in houses have the same problem.
I've certainly not found any answer, as even hand washing greasy plates with
Fairy liquid seems to result in this congealing effect further down the
drain.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 9:22:31 AM UTC-5, Rusty wrote:
I need to put rods through my drain about every year or so due to
dishwasher detergent congealing and clogging the drain.
Using "Finish" (top brand ?) tablet detergent.
We rarely use the sink which drains to the same path, so it doesn't
get much "flush though".
I'm assuming when the dishwasher drains, it re-congeals when the
expelled "liquid" gets cold.

Any suggestions ?
Maybe a liquid dishwasher detergent ?

Thanks.

I know this message was a couple of years ago, but we are currently
experiencing the same problem. I found this thread hoping to find ways to
get it unclogged and prevent it from happening again.

I won't say which brand of powdered dishwasher detergent it was (except that
it was a major brand), but I stopped buying it because I noticed it was
clumping together, sticking to the sides of the dishwasher, and giving our
dishes a powdery-film appearance.

When the dishwasher stopped draining, I opened up the filter to clean it out
and found huge clumps of the dishwasher powder all caked
together...substantially larger than the filter-holes themselves, meaning it
clumped together inside the filter itself.

(Doubters please note, companies can change their ingredients without
notice, get a one-time shipment of ingredients that are substandard or fake,
and some ingredients have changed due to recent federal
regulations...especially ingredients previously used to soften hard water).