L. M. Rappaport

Default Riello Oil Burner Questions

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:05:20 GMT, "houseslave"
wrote (with possible editing):

Hi,

Is it better to have a one line system or two line system on the typical oil
burner (line going to the head and to the tank). I read that a two line
system pumps more oil then is needed to fire and the rest is sent back to
the tank. I also read that a one line system is better for not rustling up
the sludge on the bottom of the oil tank? Are there pros and cons for both?
I read that the big guys are going away from two line systems because if the
line breaks you could pump a lot of oil into your boiler room.

One consideration: if you live in a very cold climate, the
recirculating oil in a two line system will help keep oil in tank from
gelling.

So far as pumping oil into your room, it might also depend upon the
height of the tank relative to the height of the burner; i.e., whether
or not a tank would siphon.

One of the "experts" that visited our home trying to cure a
hard-starting Riello said that he preferred a single line because it
gave the oil a better chance to warm up before going to the burner.
He claimed that the oil had to be over 50 degrees for some reason or
another so he switched us from a double to a single line system, but
since he was never able to cure the hard start, I have no idea if he
was correct.

--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com