Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Save me from Ikea cr*p

On Saturday, 10 June 2017 18:19:02 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Wed, 24 May 2017 10:26:18 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

On Tuesday, 23 May 2017 20:07:17 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Mon, 08 May 2017 11:14:11 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

So I don't have to pay the manufacturer a fortune to open the cover..

If the company put a decent size battery in there in the first place you wouldn't need to replace it.

Size is irrelevant, batteries have a limited lifespan.

What use is a 1 mAh battery even if it lasts you a decade.

My point is it doesn't matter if the battery lasts long enough between charges, it will still chemically die after 4 years.

Battery life is mostly determined by charge cycles or in extreme cases how it is treated. Most don't keep their computers 4 years anyway.

Duds occur no matter what.

when you find a dub reject it don't try hiding it inside a phone or laptop.

Probably not possible to detect all forms of dudness.

The more you test for .....

You can go by reputation and that is one reason why Apple seem to do better than certain other companies.

But you pay twice the price for their product.

That depends on the product but so what if you do, I'd rather pay twice the price for something that will last twice or 3 times longer.
Some prefer to pay more for quality.

Phones and laptops don't wear out, they become obsolete, at the same rate..

What do you mean by the same rate ?

I believe some Dell laptops did the same.

Only Dell, can't any laptop battery explode ?

I only heard of Dells doing it.

samsugn phone batteries .

They're not laptops.

They are batteries that explode were are apple's exploding batteries ?

Luck.

yeah sure maybe better designed is luck in your world.

I hardly think major manufacturers are using badly designed batteries.

Almost right. "I hardly think"

Perhaps you could explain why samsung had such problems then.

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/galax...-what-happened

Batteries made by Samsung's SDI group were too small at one corner, causing negative electrodes to be bent and increase the likelihood of short circuiting. Separately, batteries from third party provider Amperex Technology Ltd were incorrectly welded. Points left on the batteries were able to penetrate protective insulation.