Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Is there A New Thing That can Interfere With My WIFI ?

wrote:

"OK, this has happened to three of these laptops
so I will temporsrily rule out a hardware failure.

Set up a wi-fi access point on one of the computers. This is generally just
a software package that needs to be enabled. (depends on OS)

Then, using that A.P., see how far other computers can be and still work.
Either your router is dying (possible) or there is an interference source.
That could be ANYTHING! Could be a bad CFL lamp, an LED lamp, cell phone,
computer, some piece of computer/camera/video/entertainment equipment, or
even some home appliance. These Wi-Fi signals are intentionally VERY weak,
so it doesn't take a whole lot to interfere with them.

The only way to find the interference is to turn everything off, one at a
time, or maybe the two laptops talking to each other could help you locate
it to a specific room. Of course, if it is from outside, then you may have
a HECK of a time dealing with it.

I'm forced to use Wi-Fi when traveling, but use wired at home and work,
because for the most part, it JUST WORKS. Also, some hotels have wired
Ethernet ports available, and their Wi-Fi runs at 100KBits/second
intermittently, but their Ethernet jacks run at full speed all day.

Jon