Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default BS7671 18th Edition Draft out for comment

On 09/06/2017 10:08, wrote:
On Thursday, 8 June 2017 16:58:50 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 2017-06-08, Tim Watts wrote:
On 08/06/17 12:38, John Rumm wrote:

Chapter 54 Earthing arrangements and protective conductors
Regulation 542.1.201 has been modified and now requires an additional
earth electrode, supplementing any earthing facility provided by the
distributor.

Does that mean all TN-S and TN-C-S will require retro-fitting of an
earthing rod?

Building Regs are not retrospective.

Some IET Regs are - eg bonding and earthing must be brought up to spec
when anything electrical is worked on.

Is operating a 1st edition install legal?

Na, just criminally insane... ;-)

The point was, if you carry out modifications to a system that was
compliant with the 1st edition at the time of installation, then all new
work will still need to comply with current legislation, and also, there
are aspects of the existing installation that must be brought up to
current standards, even if the new work would not directly affect them.

Yup. And my point was that existing work meeting some old regs is legal, and to some other regs it's not. 1st edition wiring would definitely not be, 16th would.

Some old regs, and some other regs? - I can't make sense of that sentence!

All work done correctly to old standards is "legal". The difficulty
comes when you want to modify it now.

--
Cheers,

John.