Posted to alt.home.repair
Meanie[_7_] Meanie[_7_] is offline

Default A Very British Response to Terror

On 6/8/2017 10:46 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 6:50:51 AM UTC-4, Meanie wrote:
On 6/7/2017 10:43 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Wednesday, June 7, 2017 at 9:36:10 AM UTC-4, rbowman wrote:
On 06/07/2017 05:41 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 6/6/2017 11:55 PM, Bod wrote:

Don't like guns, trust your government to protect you, fine. I'm not
that ****in' dumb. I could take you places and laugh when you ****
your diaper.

I have never encountered people like those.

I haven't lately now that I have no need to visit the cesspools many
large American cities have become.

I have to go to Memphis Thursday ... lately I've opted for
concealability over firepower when I feel the need to pack . Davis
Industries used to make (might still) a .38 Spl 2-shooter that would
fit nicely in the back pocket of your jeans .

--

Snag

My wife and I spent 3 days in Memphis (without a gun) about 10 years
ago and survived :-)

Our house in Memphis (that our son and his family live in) is in an
area that tourists don't go ... not the worst area but bad enough . You
were probably on/near Beale Street and the downtown area , which sees
about six times the police presence of the average neighborhood . Gotta
protect them tourons and their dollars .

I don't know how it is post-Katrina but NO was the same deal. Enjoy the
French Quarter. Don't wander outside the cordon.

I was born in Detroit. I haven't been back for years, but it
was well known not to stray from the "safe" areas: Greektown,
Wayne State University, parts of the riverfront that were
developed for tourism. There's an entertainment/sports
area now that wasn't there the last time I was in Detroit.

Cindy Hamilton

It's no longer like that, at least not near downtown. The downtown area
is blossoming. The northbound extension on Woodward past the new Wings
arena is amazingly enhanced with new condos/apts, restaurants,
retailers, etc. Campus Martius is filled with events nightly and all
weekends. The riverwalk is extended from just east of the Ambassador
Bridge to Belle Isle. Old buildings are being restored and occupied. The
new trolleys on Woodward are able to transport people from end to end.
People of all races are residing and walking the streets even at night.

Prior to the rebuild I would never go downtown but now, it's thriving
with nightlife, daily events and great food. I frequent it more often.
The only downfall is finding a parking spot.

Cool. I'm sure that there still are areas where one doesn't want
to go.

Cindy Hamilton

Yes, several, but they are away from the downtown area.