Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW[_2_] ARW[_2_] is offline

Default BS7671 18th Edition Draft out for comment

On 08/06/2017 13:54, Robin wrote:
On 08/06/2017 12:57, Tim Watts wrote:
On 08/06/17 12:38, John Rumm wrote:

Chapter 54 Earthing arrangements and protective conductors
Regulation 542.1.201 has been modified and now requires an additional
earth electrode, supplementing any earthing facility provided by the
distributor.

Does that mean all TN-S and TN-C-S will require retro-fitting of an
earthing rod?

I saw comments on that in April on the earlier draft of changes on the
lines of "Bound to be a controversial subject!".

But I think TN-S is OK; it's about PME (TN-S) where broken neutrals are
- allegedly - increasing.

[rhetorical question and not a dig at you]
Do you think a 100 ohm earth rod will help if you lose the distributors
earth on a non RCD circuit?

BTW I forgot, almost everything must be now RCD protected because it's
SO much safer. But don't worry RCDs NEVER fail and they are ALL tested
every 3 months with the test button by the occupiers of the house and
every 10 years by an electrician doing an EICR.

The 19th edition (or maybe the 18th 3rd amendment) will bring back
bathroom supplementary bonding. I believe it was John Rumm that once
said "a bit of 4mm cable and a couple of earth clamps are almost bullet
proof"

Cheers

--
Adam