Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles[_20_] Muggles[_20_] is offline

Default Question for T

On 6/8/2017 10:14 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Thu 08 Jun 2017 07:58:16a, Muggles told us...

On 6/8/2017 12:05 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Wed 07 Jun 2017 09:10:56p, Muggles told us...

On Wed, 7 Jun 2017 21:25:31 -0600, rbowman
wrote:
All baroquey? Recorders tend to put you in that
frame of mind where Irish flutes just want to play
Irish rebel songs.

Yeah! I like the slower tunes, too, because it sounds really
mellow on the gopher wood recorder.

I like folk songs on my big harmonica, tho, and a few other fans
that sound good on it.

Sometimes, I miss my guitars and keyboards, but some day is like
to get another piano. Keyboards just aren't a good replacement.

I've had a series of pianos over the years including one Yamaha
Clavinova. My current favorite is a 1928 Mason and Hamlin that I
had completely rebuilt inside and out, and which I will never
replace. It has a wonderfully mellow sound, but also a very
crisp upper register. I was lucky that it had been in the same
house since its purchase in 1928 and the ivory keyboard was in
perfect condition.

ooooooo! That's one instrument I haven't had the pleasure of
playing!

I grew up as an only child. My mother taught piano from elementary
students to those graduating highschool and entering college, often
with the intent of majoring in music. We had a Mason and Hamlin

I learned piano when I was a teen, and did major in music. Piano was my
principle instrument, and guitar ended up as my secondary. My old
acoustic guitar that I'd had since I was 9 years old was the one I used
in the college guitar ensemble. (We played classical music in the
ensemble.) My guitar was smaller than regular guitars, but had a nice
tone to it. I have small hands and short fingers so a smaller guitar was
better for me. Those bar chords were always something my fingers
weren't long enough to actually play! When I sampled a 12-string, I
could do the bar chords even though the neck of the guitar was wider
than my acoustic. It was probably easier for me because the strings were
closer to the frets and it didn't take as much force to form the bar chord.

concert grand that I was taught on. After my parents passed I had no
room for a piano that large and ended up selling it to a friend who
still owns it. My M&H is smaller, but still wonderful.

In college there was a nice grand piano that I got to play. It was fun!

The piano I originally owned when I was learning to play was an old
upright, but eventually, I traded that one in for a spinet. I can't
remember the brand of it, though! It's been some years.

--
Maggie