Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al-W Al-W is offline

Default 3" fence posts or 4" fence posts?

On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 1:45:12 PM UTC+1, Robin wrote:
On 06/06/2017 12:15, Al-W wrote:

Chris, thanks for the input. I plan to use 6" x 1" vertical boards, nailed alternately, each side of the fence, in order to allow some wind through, and thus reduce wind resistance.ยท

I'd be interested if anyone knows of evidence of how much (or little)
that reduces wind resistance. I've seen "up to 15%" quoted but (a) "up
to" makes me wonder if that is in ideal wind speed and direction and (b)
it surprised me given the wind load even for chain link fencing can be
25 to 50% of the wind load of a solid fence.

--
Robin

Hmmm... That's a little worrying.

Al