Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al-W Al-W is offline

Default 3" fence posts or 4" fence posts?

On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 12:50:57 PM UTC+1, Robin wrote:
On 06/06/2017 12:20, Al-W wrote:
On Monday, June 5, 2017 at 8:23:31 PM UTC+1, The Other Mike wrote:
On Mon, 5 Jun 2017 10:52:01 -0700 (PDT), Al-W wrote:

On Monday, June 5, 2017 at 6:35:59 PM UTC+1, Al-W wrote:
Hi, oh learned ones!

I need to construct a fence that will be subject to some strong winds. It is only 5.7 meters long and will have 5 posts, two of which will be bolted to buildings. The three intermediate posts will be held by galvanized fence post holders (concreted in). My big question is: Is there any point in stretching to 4" posts and hardware, or will the 3" versions be perfectly adequate? I find it hard to imagine a 3" fence post snapping in even the strongest winds - but I could be wrong.

Any insights or advice on this matter?

Many thanks

Al-W

PS.. I forgot to mention that the fence will be 2 meters tall and all timber.

Concrete posts, set in concrete (postfix/postcrete) and then clad in rough sawn
wood if someone objects to the bare concrete look.

That sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately, I need the posts to be removable easily.

ITYM "removable easily except by the wind"

Do you need to be able to remove the posts down to ground level or would
you be able to get away with concrete spurs to which you bolt the posts?
(They can be sunk lower than usual at the risk of earlier rot of the
posts.)

http://www.supremeconcrete.co.uk/general/repair-spur/

IMLE "concrete in" metal posts holders are a bit weedy for 2m panels but
there may be stronger ones out there.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/concrete-i...m-2-pack/70197

--
Robin

Thanks very much for that suggestion. Unfortunately, I need the posts to be removeable to possibly allow a vehicle through, which has to drive though at a 45 degree angle, so unless those spurs were about 10ft apart, those concrete spurs are not really an option, unfortunately. Yes, I am a little concerned that the metal post holders will be the weak point in the fence, but I don't know of any other option that'll allow a vehicle to drive through when the posts are removed. Unless anyone herehas another suggestion.

Al