Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin E[_2_] Martin E[_2_] is offline

Default Sheldon Lathe Identification

replying to Roy 1946, Martin E wrote:
I have two Sheldon booklets. My Sheldon 11 L-44 is a TLWQ 10406 The
confusing thing on mine is the Marketing name lists it as an 11 with a way of
44". Options are TLWQ serial 10406 The 10 is the 10" lathe. Yep - both a
10 and 11 " on one leg set. So both booklets call out my machine. There
isn't a list of decode names but your BUQ Which might be a very old machine.
I believe (don't know for sure) TL is Timken Bering in Headstock with unit
L with V Belt not Flat belt (a K !!). Find out if the belting is in V's or is
a large flat belt. I think the K is the belt not the model. Model is on
nameplate on front of machine. The 10" lathes have a simple Apron assembly
while I have a complex with friction and gearing. "Carriage unit K-119 might
be yours does not have a dial for threading. The 10" does. The 10" has a
compound on top as well. The Motor Drive unit is a double cone in mine, while
the "U" drive has control handles for preset speeds. That is the basic stuff.
There is a nice website in the UK that has machines of all sorts and lets you
do a picture and id check that way. Many documents. Good luck - Martin

--
for full context, visit http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...on-638077-.htm