Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Save me from Ikea cr*p

On Thursday, 1 June 2017 21:35:53 UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Tue, 23 May 2017 11:06:20 +0100, whisky-dave wrote:

I'm just wondering how effective it is in the real world rather than in racing senerios where it's obviously important.

In the real world you are constantly changing speed due to junctions.

So do buses and cyclists, even pedestrains.

How does that make the 0-60 time of a car unimportant?

I never said it was unimportant I was just wondering how important for the average drive to and from work or whatever people do in their cars is that so difficult to understand ?

Which the mac classic was fine for a friend did her banking degree on a classic.
She preferred it to the IBM and clones of the time.

Way too bloody small, and not in colour.

Neither of which mattered.

The most important things.

you think banking, finances and the law depend on colour ;-)

They make anything more cheerful. why do you think piecharts have colours?

Because they can, why do you tbhink signatures are normally written in black or blue pens wants wrong with other colours ?

That's your chouce but I wouldn't want to pay £1000s to pollute somewhere else.

Better than paying nothing and having your own backyard polluted.

I;d rathe rpay someone to dispose of the things properly.

This is also what happens with fly tipping a person pays another to safely dispose of their rubbish and you're old TV that you paid the guy £10 to recyclce ends up in the local stream, why pay a ******* like that when you could have done that yourself for free.

Fly tipping happens because councils are too stupid to take stuff for free.

They won't take the colleges computer stuff for free either.

They were taken by colleagues personally to their destination and set up there.

Starange their employer could let them go to Africa to set up a few PC's

Did you here about the prisoners in the USA who set up their own PCs from recycled parts for illegal activities from inside the prison ?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...tes_netwo rk/

****ing brilliant. It shows those prisoners have intelligence. They should be let out early.

Shows you want can happen if such things aren't disposed of properly.

Why don't they use them you've said they have for 10 years now.
Thing is you don't have a clue where your PCs have gone.

********, they were hand delivered.

Yeah sure.

Yes.

Seems quite a waste did yuo hand delivery them if no, who did hand deliver them ?

I told you already, my colleagues. They were going to Africa anyway for research. There was space in the van.

I'd have thought space on the boat or plane was more critical and of course losing a memmeber of staff to go to Africa to set up the PC's.

Some of those companies are just using the skip too, not recyling and some are fly tipping, of course yuo might have checked out the company to make sure they arent fly tipping, but hwo do you really check that.

Who cares? I do what's cheapest.

So most likely your PC went to fly-tipping.

What company are you referring to? I just said above I put them in a skip (council landfill) or gave them away on the likes of freecycle.

I thought your colleagues took them to Africa in a van, well that's what you said above.

Were you incapable of simply wiping them?
Because theres the chance that someone could unerase them, while some were piut back into use, some were taken out to be wiped, otherwise I'd have to know the login details of each PC.

Then wipe then properly.

I did I used a hammer, best way to reformat a drive.

I just use a freeware utility to do a triple wipe.

Didn't seem worth the effort spending all that time wiping 50 or so PC's in such a way, it wasn't like most worked anyway.

Those drives were about 5-10 years old and pretty small most were under 10GB
so not a lot of use in todays world well at the time.

Not to you maybe, but some folk seem to manage to find a use for them.

I;m not running around trying to find those folks.

I've actually got three machines running here with 80GB drives.

Our biggest was 40GB I found most were 10GB they were also IED so wouldn;t be usuable in our newer PC's even as backup drives.

They're only using 35GB, and that's running Windows 10.

The speed of those drives were pretty slow in compariion to todays or even of those a few years ago.
You relly don;t want to put such an old drive on a high speed bus as it can slow it down.

It was already paid for when you bought the machine.

No it wasn't as we had a site license.

And when you change that PC to a new machine, you have a newer Windows on it. Who cares about an old XP one which you can't even buy anymore?

The same way I;d care about dumping toxic waste into the river, is similar to allowing XP and other OS,s that can be havested as bot servers.
The less XP and old systems out in the real world the less likely they'll cause problems.

ROFL! I used a trolley for some tower Imacs once. The stupid things were curved on the side, so they slid off.

Sounds likem teh G4 towers.

Yes.

Nice machines in their day I still have one, the cases are nice just a quick release and the side hinges down, unlike crap PCs where you have to use a screw driver and end up scratching yourself on bare metal edges.

They're rounded. They look ugly and as I found out you can't lie them on their side.

Quite a few smashed cases. Form over function, typical Apple ****.

This from someone who trips when wearing shoes, and forgets how tall they are so hit their head.

I don't design curvy cases for things so they can't lie in their side.

Why would you want them to lie on their side ?

Transport on a trolley.

I managed to get them standing upright side by side on a trolley in the same way teh=y were meant to stand upright when in use either of desktops or on the floor.