Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default 3" fence posts or 4" fence posts?

In my fence it was the arris rails that broke due to wind loading first,
then the wood near the base where it rotted.
Depends very much on the type of fence panels and how strong the actual
structure is.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Al-W" wrote in message
Hi, oh learned ones!

I need to construct a fence that will be subject to some strong winds. It is
only 5.7 meters long and will have 5 posts, two of which will be bolted to
buildings. The three intermediate posts will be held by galvanized fence
post holders (concreted in). My big question is: Is there any point in
stretching to 4" posts and hardware, or will the 3" versions be perfectly
adequate? I find it hard to imagine a 3" fence post snapping in even the
strongest winds - but I could be wrong.

Any insights or advice on this matter?

Many thanks

Al-W