Posted to alt.home.repair
cjt cjt is offline

Default Alternative Operating Systems to Windows

On 06/05/2017 07:35 PM, wrote:
On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 4:47:49 PM UTC-5, Bill wrote:

You can buy a dvd drive for less than $20, no?

I bought a DVD drive (IDE connector) today from a second-hand computer shop for $5.

I copied the iso file from the DVD to my hard drive.

I downloaded a free iso extractor and extracted the xbuntu xfce files.

I downloaded free software for burning the extracted files onto a blank DVD-R.

I burned the extracted files onto the blank DVD-R. They seem to all be there, from a review of "Properties" for this drive.

I switched the computer's bios to boot from the DVD.

No luck. I cannot find anything on the net that explains how to create a bootable CD for xubuntu without being connected to the net.

I do not want to get the wifi hardware for my old computer, connect to the internet and be bombarded with updates. Tell me if my approach is hopeless. All other suggestions are welcome. I know DOS command prompt language.

Copying the files isn't what you want. You need something that will
write the iso as a disk image. Otherwise the boot sectors don't get
written.