Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Other Mike[_3_] The Other Mike[_3_] is offline

Default 3" fence posts or 4" fence posts?

On Mon, 5 Jun 2017 10:52:01 -0700 (PDT), Al-W wrote:

On Monday, June 5, 2017 at 6:35:59 PM UTC+1, Al-W wrote:
Hi, oh learned ones!

I need to construct a fence that will be subject to some strong winds. It is only 5.7 meters long and will have 5 posts, two of which will be bolted to buildings. The three intermediate posts will be held by galvanized fence post holders (concreted in). My big question is: Is there any point in stretching to 4" posts and hardware, or will the 3" versions be perfectly adequate? I find it hard to imagine a 3" fence post snapping in even the strongest winds - but I could be wrong.

Any insights or advice on this matter?

Many thanks

Al-W

PS.. I forgot to mention that the fence will be 2 meters tall and all timber.

Concrete posts, set in concrete (postfix/postcrete) and then clad in rough sawn
wood if someone objects to the bare concrete look.