Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 3" fence posts or 4" fence posts?

On 05/06/17 18:35, Al-W wrote:
Hi, oh learned ones!

I need to construct a fence that will be subject to some strong winds. It is only 5.7 meters long and will have 5 posts, two of which will be bolted to buildings. The three intermediate posts will be held by galvanized fence post holders (concreted in). My big question is: Is there any point in stretching to 4" posts and hardware, or will the 3" versions be perfectly adequate? I find it hard to imagine a 3" fence post snapping in even the strongest winds - but I could be wrong.

Any insights or advice on this matter?

Use 4" concrete posts set in cement, with concrete gravel boards

Then the things won't rot

Many thanks

Al-W

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"