Posted to alt.home.repair
Trent Trent is offline

Default Red and black wires

On 6/4/2017 5:05 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, June 4, 2017 at 9:43:43 AM UTC-4, Megg A. Hertz wrote:
On 6/3/2017 2:09 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 2:01:08 PM UTC-4, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Sat, 03 Jun 2017 16:44:02 GMT, Raymond m wrote:

I have a older outlet that I'm replacing with a newer style. My outlet has 2
wires a red and black one what side does each go to I have no ground wire. The
house is probably 80 years old with old wiring
Why are you replacing the receptacle? Does the old receptacle not firmly hold a plug in it, or are you
changing it so it will accommodate a newer plug with a ground? If the latter, by code you must add a ground
wire. That could get difficult and/or expensive for the novice very quickly.
That's not true. It's code compliant to replace an old two wire,
ungrounded receptacle with a 3 wire grounded type receptacle as long
as it's protected by an upstream GFCI and marked as "GFCI protected,
no eqpt ground".

Nonsense, just bond the neutral to the ground. It all lands on the neutral/ground buss in the panel anyway.

Yah, I know, code requires a separate ground wire but that's just a distinction without a difference.

There are real and significant differences, some of which have been discussed here. And
as I just pointed out, in this application code doesn't require a separate ground, a gfci is permissible. Too cheap to buy one gfci for a circuit?

Why waste hundreds of feet of copper when a 1 inch jumper from neutral to ground screw can solve the problem? A 30-40 amp stove or dryer doesn't need a separate ground so neither does a 20 amp outlet.