Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Red and black wires

On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 12:44:05 PM UTC-4, Raymond wrote:
I have a older outlet that I'm replacing with a newer style. My outlet has 2
wires a red and black one what side does each go to I have no ground wire. The
house is probably 80 years old with old wiring

After reading the suggestions in the other posts, if you are able to determine which wire is which,
e.g. black is hot, red is neutral, you should then mark the last inch or so of the red wire with
white electrical tape or white paint. Do this at both ends. This is a common practice used to
avoid confusion for those that come along later or even you if you disconnect the wires in
the future and forget where they go, especially in the panel where you might remove
multiple wires at the same time.