Posted to rec.woodworking
swalker swalker is offline

Default Stained bandsaw table

On Sun, 28 May 2017 19:11:25 -0400, Dan Kozar

On 2017-05-27 02:44:02 +0000, swalker said:

When I purchased my new band saw table last year it arrived with a
beautiful steel table.

Now it has stained due to the processing of green wood for turning.
It is not etched, just stained, mostly by green maple.

I tried mineral spirits and steel wool with limited success.

What about very fine emery cloth and oil?

Anybody have any suggestions?

Simple Green, Fantastic, Spray Nine, etc, and a green scrubby (like for
pots and pans) and elbow grease. Same thing for your lathe bed. Dry off
and apply wd-40, wax or what used to be called top cote. Don't remember
new name. And if you think that maple stains try cherry :-) I use wd-40
on the lathe bed, but top cote on the bandsaw table.

Yeah I learned about cherry the hard way. Haven't used any walnut but
have heard that it is sure to stain. Even hard on bare hands I have
been told.

The worst I have seen is wet birch. It will etch unprotected steel in
less than 24 hours.

I recently found 2 cans of a spray top cote sold by Shop Smith. They
must be 20 years old. Haven't tried them yet.

Thanks for the post.