Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Stained bandsaw table

When I purchased my new band saw table last year it arrived with a
beautiful steel table.

Now it has stained due to the processing of green wood for turning.
It is not etched, just stained, mostly by green maple.

I tried mineral spirits and steel wool with limited success.

What about very fine emery cloth and oil?

Anybody have any suggestions?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 7:44:17 PM UTC-7, swalker wrote:
When I purchased my new band saw table last year it arrived with a
beautiful steel table.

Now it has stained due to the processing of green wood for turning.
It is not etched, just stained, mostly by green maple.

Try sudsy ammonia, and follow up with metal polish and/or paste wax.
Oily is good for the metal, but won't touch sap.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/26/17 9:44 PM, swalker wrote:

When I purchased my new band saw table last year it arrived with a
beautiful steel table.

Now it has stained due to the processing of green wood for turning.
It is not etched, just stained, mostly by green maple.

I tried mineral spirits and steel wool with limited success.

What about very fine emery cloth and oil?

Anybody have any suggestions?

If the staining is from sap, use alcohol.
If you don't have any on hand, hand cleaner will work.
See what I did there? :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

swalker wrote:

When I purchased my new band saw table last year it arrived with a
beautiful steel table.

Now it has stained due to the processing of green wood for turning.
It is not etched, just stained, mostly by green maple.

I tried mineral spirits and steel wool with limited success.

What about very fine emery cloth and oil?

Anybody have any suggestions?

A suggestion is to enjoy your saw and don't worry about it looking like you
use it.
Alternatively, Empire top restore.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-05-27 02:44:02 +0000, swalker said:

When I purchased my new band saw table last year it arrived with a
beautiful steel table.

Now it has stained due to the processing of green wood for turning.
It is not etched, just stained, mostly by green maple.

I tried mineral spirits and steel wool with limited success.

What about very fine emery cloth and oil?

Anybody have any suggestions?

Simple Green, Fantastic, Spray Nine, etc, and a green scrubby (like for
pots and pans) and elbow grease. Same thing for your lathe bed. Dry off
and apply wd-40, wax or what used to be called top cote. Don't remember
new name. And if you think that maple stains try cherry :-) I use wd-40
on the lathe bed, but top cote on the bandsaw table.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 May 2017 19:11:25 -0400, Dan Kozar

On 2017-05-27 02:44:02 +0000, swalker said:

When I purchased my new band saw table last year it arrived with a
beautiful steel table.

Now it has stained due to the processing of green wood for turning.
It is not etched, just stained, mostly by green maple.

I tried mineral spirits and steel wool with limited success.

What about very fine emery cloth and oil?

Anybody have any suggestions?

Simple Green, Fantastic, Spray Nine, etc, and a green scrubby (like for
pots and pans) and elbow grease. Same thing for your lathe bed. Dry off
and apply wd-40, wax or what used to be called top cote. Don't remember
new name. And if you think that maple stains try cherry :-) I use wd-40
on the lathe bed, but top cote on the bandsaw table.

Yeah I learned about cherry the hard way. Haven't used any walnut but
have heard that it is sure to stain. Even hard on bare hands I have
been told.

The worst I have seen is wet birch. It will etch unprotected steel in
less than 24 hours.

I recently found 2 cans of a spray top cote sold by Shop Smith. They
must be 20 years old. Haven't tried them yet.

Thanks for the post.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/26/2017 9:44 PM, swalker wrote:

When I purchased my new band saw table last year it arrived with a
beautiful steel table.

Now it has stained due to the processing of green wood for turning.
It is not etched, just stained, mostly by green maple.

I tried mineral spirits and steel wool with limited success.

What about very fine emery cloth and oil?

Anybody have any suggestions?

Do you want it to look pretty or work?

Empire used to make a product that would restore the finish with little
effort.

TuffTooth vs Timber Wolf bandsaw bandsaw comparision Paul Currie Woodworking 0 January 31st 06 12:17 AM
stained porcelain tile Home Repair 3 April 1st 04 12:52 AM
Router Table vs Router Table extension on Table Saw Davemac Woodworking 9 February 3rd 04 07:00 PM
Stained Toilet Bowl [email protected] UK diy 21 November 25th 03 12:44 AM
Stained-glass effect - materials? Frank Watson UK diy 0 September 2nd 03 12:15 PM