Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] honda.lioness@gmail.com is offline

Default Alternative Operating Systems to Windows

Thank you everyone for your input.

At present the biggest barrier for me for switching to a Linux OS is that:

-- my computer cannot boot from a memory stick or thumb drive.

-- my computer can boot from my CD-Rom drive, using a CD-R disc.

-- A CD-R disc holds only 700 Megabytes. Xubuntu OS (for one) reguires several Gigabytes. I have not tried to download the installation files for Xubuntu onto a CD-R yet but am concerned there will be problems. Will multiple discs work as I download the Linux Xubuntu system for installation? Comment with suggestions as interested.

-- I think the rest of my hardware is fine. The CPU is an x86 but okay, per what I have read, for Xubuntu.

-- I re-loaded my Windows XP and have another 30 days or so before the activation problems kick in again. I believe the reason I cannot bypass activation is the wpa.dbl file sees too much new hardware. So Windows XP thinks I am trying to unlawfully load the software on a second computer. Which arguably, given all the hardware change-outs I have done on my beloved old 2006 workhorse desktop could be said to be fair. Over the years, I have installed a few replacement mobos; new power supply; new RAM; new SSD; new CD-drive..

-- I have decided to continue to pursue a Linux OS. Just gotta get past the hurdle of how to boot it up to try installing it. Why am I doing this? Because my loathing for Microsoft has become a near-religion. I wonder if Microsoft's refusing to provide support for Windows XP after a certain date really passes legal muster. I wonder whether, if push comes to shove, maybe Microsoft is obliged to provide a patch for the activation situation.

-- The ultimate hypocrisy: I have owned stock in Microsoft for around a decade. It has done well. It's clear to me it will continue to do so. Plenty of sheep out there. Let's see if I end up re-joining the ranks of the sheep.

-- If I get a Linux system running, I plan to use OfficeLibre for my word processing and spreadsheets. My local public library offers this on its computers. I think its fine.