Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default [Power] UK breaks solar power record, supplies more power than nuke

On Sat, 3 Jun 2017 10:32:42 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 03/06/17 10:13, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 02 Jun 2017 19:39:52 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:
snip

I don't know why whether it was cloudy or windy or not should be any or
our concern. If wind(solar) can do x Gw at some given moment, then
we've obviously installed (and paid for) x Gw of capacity.

It should therefore be the responsibility of wind(solar) to be able to
supply x Gw on a 7 x 24 basis. How they do that is not our concern.

If they can't do that then they are in breach of contract.

+1

I think fining them for any deficiency in supply and giving that money
back to all those energy consumers not receiving FIT payments could be
one (real world) solution.

Cheers, T i m

Don't be silly, They get paid not to deliver!

Well quite, but I was with Tim (hypothetically) questioning the
morality / legality of that.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/eart...witch-off.html

renewable energy gets susbsidies to operate in terms of ROCS that must
be bought by power companies or they get fined.

That means everyone want to buy renewables to not get fined.

If there is too much renewable energy, they get paid to switch it off.

If there is not enough, the power companies have to buy th shortfall at
whatever price they can. Often over a £1 a unit if the wind lets em down.

Its a win win situation for renewable operators who only really lose if
the wind is low and stays low. Or its cloudy all summer.

Yup ... and as discussed, who signed that one off ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m