Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [Power] UK breaks solar power record, supplies more power thannuke

On 02/06/17 22:47, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 02/06/17 19:39, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , ARW
wrote:

On 31/05/2017 09:46, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

"The UK has surpassed its solar power record, generating 8.7 GW on
Friday afternoon from photovoltaic (PV) installations"

"Grid operator National Grid said PV generated 24.3 per cent of demand
at 1 pm, beating the previous record of 8.48 GW and for the first time
providing more power than the nation's eight nuclear plants"

http://www.powerengineeringint.com/a...-breaks-solar-
power-record.html

Now if they could just arrange for the sun to shine at night...

To be fair I posted this from the BBC on the 26th:-)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40058074

The page has altered and now says

"A National Grid spokeswoman said the record level of solar power
was achieved largely because of the clear and sunny weather on Friday."

She added that it would have been significantly harder to reach if
it had been cloudy.

I don't know why whether it was cloudy or windy or not should be any or
our concern. If wind(solar) can do x Gw at some given moment, then
we've obviously installed (and paid for) x Gw of capacity.

It should therefore be the responsibility of wind(solar) to be able to
supply x Gw on a 7 x 24 basis. How they do that is not our concern.

If they can't do that then they are in breach of contract.

They would be if normal contracts applied to them.

They don't. They get full exemption as 'renewable' sources.

So is this the Govt unable to write contracts *again*? Just like with
PFI? Did the renewable shills come round with a contract with the ink
still wet, which said something like "we agree to supply some variable
amount of energy of our choosing to you from time to time, and you
agree to pay us lots of dosh and not enquire too deeply into how much
volts we are supplying" ?? And you mean gasp that the Govt *signed*
*it* without further ado? Well I'll be hornswoggled.

So which Govt was this and who were the guilty men that ****ed our
money away in this fashion?

Mostly the European Union with Browns Milliband licking their tailpipes.

"The Utilities Act 2000 gives the Secretary of State the power to
require electricity suppliers to supply a certain proportion of their
total sales in the United Kingdom from electricity generated from
renewable sources. A Renewables Obligation Order is issued annually
detailing the precise level of the obligation for the coming year-long
period of obligation and the level of the buy-out price. The Renewables
Obligation (England and Wales) was introduced by the Department of Trade
and Industry, the Renewables Obligation (Scotland) was introduced by the
Scottish Executives and the Northern Ireland Renewables Obligation was
introduced by the Department of Enterprise Trade and Investment
(DETINI). The Orders were subject to review in 2005/06 and new Orders
came into effect on 1 April 2006. "

"Saki"