Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rust prevention on surfaces... in today's environments

On Thu, 1 Jun 2017 17:19:33 -0500, gray_wolf
wrote:

On 6/1/2017 12:24 PM, Leon wrote:
On 6/1/2017 10:39 AM, Steve wrote:
Seeking your counsel, folks. I never had a need for a real rust-preventative
on my tools, as my shop was in a reasonably- decent climate-controlled
basement. Bought a new house a couple of years ago and upgraded the shop,
but it's in an uninsulated, unheated garage. Also upgraded the table saw from
a Craftsman contractor saw to the Grizzly hybrid model, and I love it-- except
the surface. I knew this would be a thing, but paste wax had always worked
for me in the past. Paste isn't cutting it now. My band saw table is also
affected; no dice on the wax there either which had always worked for me.

Before you fire off with the usual, please... (1) yes, I will eventually be
insulating, heating, etc. but I still need a short term surface fix.

2) Other materials for my table surface ARE being considered, but for now,
let's focus on the question at hand, please.

3) Yes I have looked and I am aware of the bazillions of previous comments on
this, but believe it or not there's not a comprehensive thread since about
2012 or so, according to my search. There's more like a smattering of comments
embedded in a bunch of other threads. VOC Laws have changed drastically in
many states since then, affecting hundreds of thousands of products in the
chemicals and coatings industries. I'm in consumer-protection-happy
Massachusetts, which has some new regs over the past decade. But I'm also
located on the NH line and believe it or not, recent changes hit New Hampshire
products even harder. (As only an example, I can still get real TSP in Mass,
and I have a better chance of getting decent Alkyds in Mass.)

So my questions are this:

--Are you guys, generally, still using and/or recommending Boeshield and/or
TopCote for this purpose today? What's your experience with these products in
cold/heavy-moisture environments?

-- Have you noticed any decline in the products' effectiveness over the past
decade or so? (Keep in mind, this reply may vary, depending on the regs in
your location.)

-- are there any new products that anyone's been introduced to that are as
effective or better than these two today?

Thanks for your assistance, all
Steve

Wax nor Boeshield ever worked for me at all. With both I immediately had rust
the next morning on brand new equipment.

I live in Houston so I am about 45 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. We get a wind
from the gulf a majority of the time. And humidity is almost always 90% in the
mornings.

My shop in in an uninsulated and unairconditioned garage and has been for the
past 36 years.

The only time I really had a rust issue was when I attempted to use wax and or
Bodshied.

Boeshield works if you heavily coat the surface. BUT you have to wipe off the
film before doing any cutting. End of the day reapply.

For 30+ years I have been using TopKote, Bostitch. At one time it belonged to
Empire. Anyway I apply this product 3~4 times a year and have not found
anything that works better.

I wonder if a vinyl floor wax would work?

Why fool with success? Paste wax works. Another product that works is
Collinite #845 Insulator wax. It is a high carnabu wax.