Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Walk-in tub

On Thu, 1 Jun 2017 14:30:03 -0400, "Carl Ijames"
wrote:

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message news
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .
Tom Gardner on Wed, 31 May 2017 15:10:07 -0400 typed
I remember when I first saw walk-in tubs I laughed thinking they were
for really old people. Well, guess what...they look pretty good now!
Does anybody have any experience with them? I see they go for $1500 -
$20k.

Main issue - you have to get in, then fill, then drain, then exit.
That's a long time to sit, waiting.

One problem is that no matter who big the drain on the tub is , it
often connects to a smaller drain pipe. SO after that first rush
fills the pipe - then you have to wait for the drain to clear. YMMV.
--
pyotr filipivich

My simple answer is a Rubbermaid step stool as a shower seat and an
extended sink spray replacing the shower head.
https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...ePswod oJEAKQ
The stool is low enough to reach the spray head resting on the tub
floor or my crossed feet. Unlike a bulky multinozzle shower spray the
sink spray shuts off when released, saving hot water that would be
wasted down the drain.

The sink spray hose extension is a replacement hose for the fancy
units. The ones I bought have the straight version of pipe threads and
seal well enough with TFE tape in a brass pipe coupler, which I padded
with rubber hose to protect the walls. Even if they drip it's into
the tub.
-jsw
================================================= =========

I haven't needed the shower seat yet, but I've narrowed my choices down to a
couple that look like they will fit my tub and hold my weight for when the
time comes. I installed a shower wand several years ago, and really loved
it compared to the stationary shower head. However, the wand was low flow
like most shower heads these days, so when it broke 3-4 years ago I got a
"Camco 43712 RV Shower Head with On/Off Switch (Off-White)" from amazon for
about $12 ($15 now) and I love it. It has two positions, regular shower and
a pulse massage setting but I almost never use the pulse. However, it flows
much more water than the low flow wand did, basically as much as the old
high flow shower head I started with, which is great, and it has a slide
valve so I can shut off the flow when I don't need it without disturbing the
temperature setting. I figure I save about enough by turning the flow off
to balance out the higher flow when on, and I'm much happier :-). It fits
on the end of the old wand hose, and fits into the hose adaptor socket
assembly that replaces a regular shower head so installation was trivial and
it still works as a fixed shower head if you want that (you can buy all
those pieces separately if you aren't starting with a dead wand like I was).
I never thought about adapting a sink spray head to get the shutoff valve,
that's a great idea. However, the RV wand delivers at least twice as much
water as the sink spray in my kitchen sink, so I don't think I would be
happy with the lower flow.

I have a shower wand, too. The low flow fix is easy. You can either
remove the little PVC washer with the small hole in it, or drill it
out larger. I did the former for my shower and the latter for my
aerators in the sinks. I don't waste water (shutoff valve on wand and
I know how to regulate the flow in the kitchen to quickly fill the
sink or gently wash my hands) and am on a well, so it would have been
free anyway. There really isn't a shutoff valve on the wand, but in
between settings (rain or hard spray) the head shuts off the water, so
it works as a valve, saving water while I soap up and shampoo. My Air
Force dad taught me about GI showers early on, and it stuck with me.

You'd be surprised how many people aren't aware how simple it is to
increase the flow of water, Carl.

--
I started out with nothing and
I still have most of it left!