Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Rust prevention on surfaces... in today's environments

On 6/1/2017 12:24 PM, Leon wrote:
On 6/1/2017 10:39 AM, Steve wrote:
Seeking your counsel, folks. I never had a need for a real
rust-preventative on my tools, as my shop was in a reasonably- decent
climate-controlled basement. Bought a new house a couple of years
ago and upgraded the shop, but it's in an uninsulated, unheated
garage. Also upgraded the table saw from a Craftsman contractor saw
to the Grizzly hybrid model, and I love it-- except the surface. I
knew this would be a thing, but paste wax had always worked for me in
the past. Paste isn't cutting it now. My band saw table is also
affected; no dice on the wax there either which had always worked for
me.

Before you fire off with the usual, please... (1) yes, I will
eventually be insulating, heating, etc. but I still need a short term
surface fix.

2) Other materials for my table surface ARE being considered, but for
now, let's focus on the question at hand, please.

3) Yes I have looked and I am aware of the bazillions of previous
comments on this, but believe it or not there's not a comprehensive
thread since about 2012 or so, according to my search. There's more
like a smattering of comments embedded in a bunch of other threads.
VOC Laws have changed drastically in many states since then, affecting
hundreds of thousands of products in the chemicals and coatings
industries. I'm in consumer-protection-happy Massachusetts, which
has some new regs over the past decade. But I'm also located on the NH
line and believe it or not, recent changes hit New Hampshire products
even harder. (As only an example, I can still get real TSP in Mass,
and I have a better chance of getting decent Alkyds in Mass.)

So my questions are this:

--Are you guys, generally, still using and/or recommending Boeshield
and/or TopCote for this purpose today? What's your experience with
these products in cold/heavy-moisture environments?

-- Have you noticed any decline in the products' effectiveness over
the past decade or so? (Keep in mind, this reply may vary, depending
on the regs in your location.)

-- are there any new products that anyone's been introduced to that
are as effective or better than these two today?

Thanks for your assistance, all
Steve

Wax nor Boeshield ever worked for me at all. With both I immediately
had rust the next morning on brand new equipment.

I live in Houston so I am about 45 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. We
get a wind from the gulf a majority of the time. And humidity is almost
always 90% in the mornings.

My shop in in an uninsulated and unairconditioned garage and has been
for the past 36 years.

The only time I really had a rust issue was when I attempted to use wax
and or Bodshied.

Boeshield works if you heavily coat the surface. BUT you have to wipe
off the film before doing any cutting. End of the day reapply.

For 30+ years I have been using TopKote, Bostitch. At one time it
belonged to Empire. Anyway I apply this product 3~4 times a year and
have not found anything that works better.

Let me add that if you are getting condensation, formally caused by
sudden temperature changes you may want to consider a cover that sits
directly on top of the surface. Typically these covers are flat and can
be cut to fit the table precisely.