Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Alternative Operating Systems to Windows

On 5/30/2017 2:00 PM, Shadow wrote:
On Sat, 27 May 2017 21:43:46 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 10:30:13 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I can no longer activate Windows XP on my desktop computer, even using the various go-arounds offered on the net. I can afford Windows 10 and so on, but I have given too many hours over the years to its Regedit, restore yada features. I do not need bells and whistles. I need a decent word processor, spreadsheet, pdf viewer. I have a small Chromebook as my second computer. For anything serious, I can use my little Chromebook or go to the public library.

I am ready to try a free alternative operating system, such as Linux's Ubuntu.

If you use a free operating system, can you post your thumbs up or thumbs down for it compared to Windows?

I have an old laptop that I'm going to try loading True OS formerly PC-BSD on. It has Ubuntu on it now but I want to play with something else. I had PC-BSD on a desktop some years back and I liked it. I'm interested in how the OS has matured. ?(?)?

https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=trueos

https://www.trueos.org/

If you have an old laptop, determine whether it supports PAE and download
the correct version of the OS.

Devuan has been finally released. It's basically Debian
without the controversial systemd

I'll wait to see how it fares, and replace my Debian with it
if there are not too many glitches.

https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=devuan
[]'s