Posted to alt.home.repair
Shadow Shadow is offline

Default Alternative Operating Systems to Windows

On Sat, 27 May 2017 21:53:22 -0400, Bill
wrote:

Shadow wrote:
The main thing is, DO NOT INSTALL anything other than what your package manager offers. Installation is automatic and all dependencies are taken care of by the manager.
Anything downloaded separately (like Oracle Java) will be a massive security hazard, and unless you are proficient with fixing Linux code, avoid it like the plague.

You don't trust Oracle, or is something else going on that I am unaware
of? One of the reasons I installed Linux (on the side) was to have a
"sandbox" to run Java applications that I don't have to trust.

Every Java runtime update "fixes" a number of "critical
vulnerabilities" that can allow remote access or execution and are
being exploited in the wild.
The funny thing is the vulnerabilities are always introduced
by previous updates. They weren't there before.
So I don't trust them.

Same with Win 10. "Security updates" disable anti-datamining
fixes and open your PC for exploit. Which is why anti-telemetry
software is updated every time an "official" patch comes out.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012