Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Alternative Operating Systems to Windows

On Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 7:00:49 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Sat 27 May 2017 12:11:23p, Bill told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Sat 27 May 2017 08:53:40a, Frank told us...

On 5/27/2017 12:01 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Fri 26 May 2017 06:59:29p, songbird told us...

wrote: ...
I am ready to try a free alternative operating system, such
as Linux's Ubuntu.

If you use a free operating system, can you post your thumbs
up or thumbs down for it compared to Windows?
certainly give it a try.

i've been running Debian for many years and Ubuntu is
based upon Debian, but is supposedly easier to use.

there will be a learning curve, but if you have time
i consider it time well spent. i like puzzles instead
of watching tv anyways...

i can't even remember the last time i booted my
other machine which has win98 on it, the battery has
probably died by now (it also has Debian on it).

songbird

Certainly there are alternative operating systems other than
Windows. Do I pesonally want to use them? A definite no. I
don't want to spend (waste) my time "making" something work,
whereas WINDows 10 will be 100% compatible with my hardware,
other software, peripherals, all the drivers and firmware, etc.
Windows 10 allows me to USE my system rather than playing with
it.

I know that all you opponents will not agree. :-)

I agree with you but I applaud their efforts. Everybody wins
when there is competition.

Oh, I have no problem with what others do. I do have a problem
when they tell me what I should. FWIW, between Microsoft and
Apple, I don't see a snowball's chance in hell of any other
others ever becoming conpetitive with those two behemoths, at
least not in my lifetime.
I think you are overlooking Google and its Android platform.

AFAIK, neither are platforms used on desktop computers. Some of
Google's software, yes, but not their OS. I use Android on my cell
phone and find that it's appropriate there.

What I think you were overlooking is the significance of the platform
(when you compared it to MS's product and Apple's products). I heard
someone say last week, "The phone is the new TV"; I think it's fair to
say that the new "phones" go along way towards replacing a desktop too
for a lot of people as well.

That's right. A decade ago many homes had more than one PC, some
several. Now it's more common for there to be less PCs, the extra
ones being replaced by phones and tablets, both of which offer what
typical users were using those other PCs for.

http://static1.businessinsider.com/i...0113_pc_bi.png

PC sales have been dropping substantially for 4 consecutive years and
are at 8 year lows.