Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Ijames[_12_] Carl Ijames[_12_] is offline

Default Rust conversion in practical use.

"amdx" wrote in message news

I got involved in a Honey Do.
My wife uses a walk behind fertilizer spreader, she has taken very good
care of it, washing off the corrosive fertilizer after each use.
But the other day she pointed out some rust on the tubular frame and
wants me to fix it before it gets worse.
So, some areas are severely rusted (pitted) but most of it is still
good paint. There is some peeling paint near the rust.
Does anyone have a favorite RUST Converter.
Should I sand blast the whole thing and start from scratch?
Is there a favorite paint to hold up to the corrosive fertilizer.
I have it completely disassembled, so I might as well do the best job I can.
What is the best method to get her another 15 years out of this?

Mikek

Assuming that it is still structurally sound I would go with POR15 epoxy
paint. Never tried it but I can't imagine that fertilizer would affect it,
and since I'm sure she stores the spreader inside when not in use I wouldn't
even bother with the uv-resistant formula. Scrape or wire brush off any
loose paint or flaking rust, leave the rest of the rust alone, wash with
soap and water to degrease, dry well, and paint it. If you want a second
coat, put it on 3-4 hours after the first coat, while it is still tacky. If
you wait until if fully cures you will have to rough up the first surface to
get a second coat to stick. I did the rear end on my car with two coats
that way, and it still looks like the day I painted it 9 years ago. I
bought the six-pack of tiny cans instead of one of the next bigger size
(pint, I think) since the price was about the same ($30-35?) and I knew I
would never use the rest of a bigger can before it cured in the can. I
think I used one and a half of the tiny cans on the rear. I did put a sheet
of saran wrap over the opened can, pushed down to touch the surface of the
liquid, before I put the lid back on to try to seal it as well as I could.
I think it worked ok, because I waited a couple of years before I had
something else to paint and that half can was still good.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames