Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rust conversion in practical use.

I got involved in a Honey Do.
My wife uses a walk behind fertilizer spreader, she has taken very good
care of it, washing off the corrosive fertilizer after each use.
But the other day she pointed out some rust on the tubular frame and
wants me to fix it before it gets worse.
So, some areas are severely rusted (pitted) but most of it is still
good paint. There is some peeling paint near the rust.
Does anyone have a favorite RUST Converter.
Should I sand blast the whole thing and start from scratch?
Is there a favorite paint to hold up to the corrosive fertilizer.
I have it completely disassembled, so I might as well do the best job I can.
What is the best method to get her another 15 years out of this?

Mikek

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/28/2017 10:16 AM, amdx wrote:

I got involved in a Honey Do.
My wife uses a walk behind fertilizer spreader, she has taken very good
care of it, washing off the corrosive fertilizer after each use.
But the other day she pointed out some rust on the tubular frame and
wants me to fix it before it gets worse.
So, some areas are severely rusted (pitted) but most of it is still
good paint. There is some peeling paint near the rust.
Does anyone have a favorite RUST Converter.
Should I sand blast the whole thing and start from scratch?
Is there a favorite paint to hold up to the corrosive fertilizer.
I have it completely disassembled, so I might as well do the best job I
can.
What is the best method to get her another 15 years out of this?

Mikek

Uh:

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/s_t...eutralizer.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 12:16:39 PM UTC-4, amdx wrote:
I got involved in a Honey Do.
My wife uses a walk behind fertilizer spreader, she has taken very good
care of it, washing off the corrosive fertilizer after each use.
But the other day she pointed out some rust on the tubular frame and
wants me to fix it before it gets worse.
So, some areas are severely rusted (pitted) but most of it is still
good paint. There is some peeling paint near the rust.
Does anyone have a favorite RUST Converter.
Should I sand blast the whole thing and start from scratch?
Is there a favorite paint to hold up to the corrosive fertilizer.
I have it completely disassembled, so I might as well do the best job I can.
What is the best method to get her another 15 years out of this?

Mikek

It is courses for horses. One nice way is to use galvanic rust removal. Where you have some electrolyte and use electricity to reduce the rust. Good for things you can put in a container. Not so good in this case.

I just used a air powered needle gun to get all the thick rust off some sheet metal and then painted it with aluminium paint. A better job would have had me use an acid to reduce the rust and then paint. I got some citric acid from Tractor Supply for that You can also get Naval Jelly from the auto parts store. It is phosphoric acid in a gel.

If you are reasonably close to Delaware, I have a stainless steel fertilizer spreader that I am about to get rid of.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

amdx wrote:
I got involved in a Honey Do.
My wife uses a walk behind fertilizer spreader, she has taken very good
care of it, washing off the corrosive fertilizer after each use.
But the other day she pointed out some rust on the tubular frame and
wants me to fix it before it gets worse.
So, some areas are severely rusted (pitted) but most of it is still
good paint. There is some peeling paint near the rust.
Does anyone have a favorite RUST Converter.
Should I sand blast the whole thing and start from scratch?
Is there a favorite paint to hold up to the corrosive fertilizer.
I have it completely disassembled, so I might as well do the best job I can.
What is the best method to get her another 15 years out of this?

Mikek

Clean off the loose stuff and as much of the rest as you can. Then wipe
it down with phosphoric acid. Let that work on it a bit, then wipe off
any excess and neutralize the acid with some baking soda/water mix.

Now use a good primer to give it a good even coating. Now cover that
with spray on bed liner coating. The spray can stuff is thin enough that
it goes on smooth.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"amdx" wrote in message news

I got involved in a Honey Do.
My wife uses a walk behind fertilizer spreader, she has taken very good
care of it, washing off the corrosive fertilizer after each use.
But the other day she pointed out some rust on the tubular frame and
wants me to fix it before it gets worse.
So, some areas are severely rusted (pitted) but most of it is still
good paint. There is some peeling paint near the rust.
Does anyone have a favorite RUST Converter.
Should I sand blast the whole thing and start from scratch?
Is there a favorite paint to hold up to the corrosive fertilizer.
I have it completely disassembled, so I might as well do the best job I can.
What is the best method to get her another 15 years out of this?

Mikek

Assuming that it is still structurally sound I would go with POR15 epoxy
paint. Never tried it but I can't imagine that fertilizer would affect it,
and since I'm sure she stores the spreader inside when not in use I wouldn't
even bother with the uv-resistant formula. Scrape or wire brush off any
loose paint or flaking rust, leave the rest of the rust alone, wash with
soap and water to degrease, dry well, and paint it. If you want a second
coat, put it on 3-4 hours after the first coat, while it is still tacky. If
you wait until if fully cures you will have to rough up the first surface to
get a second coat to stick. I did the rear end on my car with two coats
that way, and it still looks like the day I painted it 9 years ago. I
bought the six-pack of tiny cans instead of one of the next bigger size
(pint, I think) since the price was about the same ($30-35?) and I knew I
would never use the rest of a bigger can before it cured in the can. I
think I used one and a half of the tiny cans on the rear. I did put a sheet
of saran wrap over the opened can, pushed down to touch the surface of the
liquid, before I put the lid back on to try to seal it as well as I could.
I think it worked ok, because I waited a couple of years before I had
something else to paint and that half can was still good.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 28 May 2017 10:46:56 -0600, tyre biter wrote:

[...]

use enviro-rust or evapo-rust to get rid of the rust completely, then
re-prine and re-paint as new metal Forget about "conversion coatings"
in an application like that. I've done the "extend" thing - and I've
done the chemically remove all rust thing - and there is NO
comparison.
Electrolytic rust removal works great too -, but not for that
application.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

================================================= ===========

[...]

Excellent product - but even it works best on relatively rust free
surfaces. I've been using it on the fender lips of my 21 year old Ford
Ranger to keep the paint from peeling up the fender. I've got about
half the small "starter can" left afterr five years of the Ranger -
and I'd used a good portion of it for the earlier project I bought it
for - can't remember what it was. I also use the saran wrap to keep it
from gluing the lid on permanently, as well as sealing out all air and
moisture and sealing in all the solvents. I clean the little artists
brush I use for application with gasoline when I'm done (before the
stuff dries hard on the brush!!)