Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rust conversion in practical use.

On Sunday, May 28, 2017 at 12:16:39 PM UTC-4, amdx wrote:
I got involved in a Honey Do.
My wife uses a walk behind fertilizer spreader, she has taken very good
care of it, washing off the corrosive fertilizer after each use.
But the other day she pointed out some rust on the tubular frame and
wants me to fix it before it gets worse.
So, some areas are severely rusted (pitted) but most of it is still
good paint. There is some peeling paint near the rust.
Does anyone have a favorite RUST Converter.
Should I sand blast the whole thing and start from scratch?
Is there a favorite paint to hold up to the corrosive fertilizer.
I have it completely disassembled, so I might as well do the best job I can.
What is the best method to get her another 15 years out of this?

Mikek

It is courses for horses. One nice way is to use galvanic rust removal. Where you have some electrolyte and use electricity to reduce the rust. Good for things you can put in a container. Not so good in this case.

I just used a air powered needle gun to get all the thick rust off some sheet metal and then painted it with aluminium paint. A better job would have had me use an acid to reduce the rust and then paint. I got some citric acid from Tractor Supply for that You can also get Naval Jelly from the auto parts store. It is phosphoric acid in a gel.

If you are reasonably close to Delaware, I have a stainless steel fertilizer spreader that I am about to get rid of.

Dan